WATSON Dorothy Mortimer – Territorial Force Nursing Service
Dorothy Mortimer Watson was baptised at St Margaret’s Church, Ilkley, Yorkshire on 11th February 1888, the daughter of Christopher Holmes Watson (yarn agent) and his wife Mary (nee Fletcher) of The Rocks, Ikley. In 1891 the family consisting of Christopher, Mary and their 3 children, William Howard aged 16, Beatrice Balfour aged 7 and Dorothy aged 3 were living at 6 The Rocks along with 2 servants, a cook and a housemaid. Christopher Watson died aged 54 in 1894.
Dorothy was educated in London at the Royal Masonic School, a boarding school for girls who were daughters of Freemasons. The date she was admitted is not known but she was resident at the school in 1901 where she is recorded as a pupil aged 13 on the census. Dorothy left the school in 1904 and returned to her native Harrogate where she trained as a nurse at Harrogate Infirmary. On the 1911 census she is recorded as a Hospital Nurse at the Infirmary.
After war broke out Dorothy joined the Territorial Force Nursing Service (TFNS), working in the 2nd Northern General Hospital, Leeds and Leeds War Hospital. In 1915 or 1916 she was posted overseas to Malta where she worked at the St John’s Military Hospital at Sliema. Previously a barracks for soldiers and a school for Maltese children, the hospital opened on 1st September 1915 with 400 beds. By the time of its closure on 9th October 1917 it had a capacity of 520 beds. However, Dorothy Watson contacted measles in early 1917 and died aged 29 on 13th March 1917 of associated toxaemia.
Staff Nurse Dorothy Watson was buried in Pieta Military Cemetery, Malta, Grave XXIX. 4. She is remembered on Harrogate Memorial.