Regiment : 11th Battalion attached 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment
Service number : H0
Conflict : WW1
Date of death : 3rd September 1916 aged 25
Buried : Blighty Valley Cemetery, Authuile Wood, France, Special Memorial 6.
Relatives : Adopted son of Canon Knox Little, of Worcester, England; husband of Isabel Grainger Egan (formerly King), 3 South Walnut St., East Orange, New Jersey, U.S.A.
Memorial : Worcester Guildhall
Also appears on : Worcester Kings School WW1 Memorial. Worcester Cathedral Cloister Windows Kings School.
Returned from Argentine to enlist.
Capt., Worcester Regt.
Born December 26, 1891. Fell in France, September 3, 1916
Harry King was the adopted son of Canon Knox Little. He entered the School as a day boy in May, 1906, in the Lower School, and left in 1910 in the Fifth Form, after a most honourable School career. He was vigorous, diligent, and respected by all, a good sportsman, representing the School both in cricket and football, and a first rate Sergeant in the O.T.C. After a short business training in London he obtained an appointment on the Leopoldina Railway in Rio de Janeiro, where he did excellently and won rapid promotion. Encouraged by the generous financial aid of the company, he returned to fight early in 1915. He was wounded seriously in the early days of the fight in June, and recovered in hospital first in France and then in Italy. On recovery he returned to the front and fell when gallantly leading his men on September 3rd. He was married in England early in 1915 and leaves a young wife and infant boy. England loses one of her best.
W. H. C.
Source for additional information: The Vigornian, November 1916, No.87, Vol.VIII
A Memorial Service for The Men of Worcester and the Neighbourhood who have laid down their lives in the war was held in Worcester Cathedral on All Saints Day, 1916 at 7.30pm. Capt. H. King, Worc. Regt is listed on the Roll of Honour in the service booklet under Old Vigornians.
A photograph of Captain Harry King of Worcester can be found in Berrow’s Worcester Journal Supplement, Saturday 23rd September 1916, available at Worcestershire Archives.